The Assistant Controller is responsible for supporting the Controller with the administration, accounting and financial reporting functions, managing the Camp Hill, PA Service Center information systems requirements, and for providing required analytical support for production management. The Assistant Controller will be a key member of the management team including relationship management with customers and external auditors, customer accounting and processes for budgeting, operational accounting and Service Center reporting. The role is both tactical and strategic in scope.
This is also a “hands-on” role and the ideal candidate is expected to have extensive background in accounts payable, finished goods inventory, standard costing, production yield reporting and month-end closing. Excellent computer skills with a thorough knowledge in Microsoft Excel are required. The Assistant Controller must be detailed-oriented and have the ability to multi-task.
We are currently seeking someone interested and capable of joining us as the Assistant Controller, learning all of the departmental functions from the existing Controller, with the prospect of transitioning to the Controller role in approximately 1-2 years.
- Principal Accountabilities
Planning and Control
- Maintain effective systems of internal control to safeguard assets, support corporate growth and profitability and ensure compliance with all U.S. accepted accounting practices. Ensure the proper controls are in place to provide proper valuation and accounting for all inventory items, including packaging, raw material supply, WIP, finished goods inventory, and any other supplies used in the Service Center.
- Oversee computer hardware and software systems; function as a liaison with outside technical support
- Oversee preparation of daily operating reports, including production volume and sales, by‑product recovery, product yield reporting, and labor costs
- Assist and facilitate in the creation and maintenance of Camp Hill Service Center policies and procedures ensuring adherence to corporate guidelines
- Execute policies and procedures to ensure credit risk on outside sales is managed and bad debts are minimized
- Assist in the annual budgeting process for the Service Center and perform capital budget analysis, long range planning and direction
- Ensure the company is in compliance with its obligations under long‑term supply and labor agreements
- Maintain corporate ledgers, ensuring there is a clear audit trail to support the financial statements
- Establish standard costs for each item and report variances to management daily. Ensure proper costing of all product codes at standard, as well as measurement of variances against those standards based on actual production.
- Working with the QA Manager, ensures adequate inventory controls to effect proper mock or actual recall of product
- Accountable for all accounting functions and production yield reporting within Service Center. This includes the supervision of accounting staff in preparing reports and analyses as required to meet financial and operational deadlines.
- Summarize daily production reports into weekly scorecards for review at management meetings
- Prepare weekly and monthly financial statements, as well as daily yield and labor reports and weekly cost files
- Assemble working papers and draft financial statements to facilitate the annual audit
Administration and Other Duties
- Supervise administration support staff
- Review coding and approve Service Center invoices for processing
- Manage AR aging and cash application of invoice payments
- Assist in oversight and use of various software systems
- Participate in special projects working within multi-disciplined teams on various projects
- Reporting Relationships
- Reports directly to the Controller, who reports directly to the U.S.Corporate Controller and indirectly to the Camp Hill Service Center General Manager
- Leads support staff through goal setting, ongoing feedback and coaching
- Key member of the management team
- Customer at multiple levels in IT, retail operations and finance
- Office, production, and sales staff
- Senior and middle management in both Vantage Foods and at the customer
- Financial partners
- Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Completed or near completion of a professional designation (CPA desired)
- At least five years of experience in a senior accounting role, preferably in a meat production or manufacturing environment
- Superior level of IT knowledge and expertise
- Leadership skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Organized and efficient
- Superior analytical and problem solving skills
- Understanding of lean manufacturing principles and processes
- Thorough knowledge of financial reporting requirements in the S. for a manufacturing entity
- Decision‑Making\Problem Solving
- Must be able to work independently with little direction
- Must exercise professional judgment in accounting for financial transactions to ensure that financial reports fairly present the results of operations.
- Good business sense to capitalize on market opportunities and pinpoint problem areas within the business units
- Working Conditions
- Frequent occurrences of needing to complete assigned tasks within established timeframes
Fast paced, just-in-time lean manufacturing based production environment