Reporting to the Distribution Manager, the Distribution Supervisor (Shipping) is responsible for ensuring the achievement of shipping objectives pertaining to food and workplace safety, performance, efficiency, product quality, service levels, on time delivery, and excellent customer relations.
Overall responsibility includes workplace safety, food safety compliance, execution and process excellence, recruiting, training, and supporting programs/policies as directed by Service Center’s management team.
Lead shipping operations in a manner consistent with optimum productivity, regulatory compliance, and cost of goods sold. In the absence of the Distribution Manager, this position may assume this leadership role at the Service Center.
- Maintains a safe work environment for associates and requires all to adhere to GMP’s and maintains excellent food safety practices
- Develops a rapport with team and focuses on retention strategies with sound leadership for their supervisors
- Manages the loading and dispatch of finished products in an efficient and timely manner to meet delivery requirements
- Directs and coordinates activities associated with Service Center’s on-going shipping requirements utilizing knowledge of quality control standards, technology, process improvements and the capability of people, equipment and machines
- Confers with other management team members to establish shipping standards, develop budget and cost/diagnostic controls and obtain data on quantities, product specifications, service levels requirements and delivery times
- Provides the shipping team with committed leadership on lean manufacturing principles and continuous process improvement techniques. Reinforces the commitment to continuous process improvement
- Trains and develops hourly staff on the operation and routine maintenance of pertinent equipment (forklifts, pallet jacks, pallet wrappers, etc.). Ensures regular maintenance of equipment
- Facilitates achievement of Company objectives in terms of product quality, efficiency targets and customer service targets
- Enforces HACCP procedures and is committed to food safety
- Tracks and monitors hourly staff attendance. Oversees and administers discipline in line with Company’s discipline policy including taking disciplinary statements
- Conducts accident investigations. Provides a safe working environment for all employees
- Enforces compliance with Company Policies, all relevant state legislation requirements
- Additional duties as assigned
Key Skills and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution or military honorable discharge or a minimum of four years of progressive experience
- Demonstrated ability to operate in both union and non-union environments
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a diverse workforce manufacturing environment
- Proficiency in Spanish or other languages is preferred
- MS Office, Excel and Outlook experience
- Supervisory Experience
- Possess strong leadership, interpersonal, teambuilding, and influencing skills
- Excellent organizational, time management, project, and change management skills
- Ability to resolve conflicts and diffuse employee related issues, concerns, and situations
- Recognizes potential risks, problems, or trends and suggest various options leading to solutions
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbally and written, with all levels of the organization
- A thorough understanding of lean manufacturing principles and leadership applications within a manufacturing environment.