Responsible for managing all activities associated with payroll, benefits and HRIS. Assigns and directs payroll and other team members in this group. Responsible for maintaining the accuracy and scheduling of payrolls. Conducts internal audits and participates in external audits. Establish best practices for payroll, HRIS and benefits administration. Lead the team through behaviours that support our cultural practices as well as the importance of effective service delivery to all of our stakeholders
- Maintain strict confidentiality and ensure system security and data integrity.
- Supervise, train and develop team members. Provide oversight and direction in daily activities of team members performing payroll/HRIS/benefit functions. Conduct regular audits of activities and assignments.
- Ensures compliance with Local, State and Federal regulatory requirements
- Maintain functions of HRIS applications including but not limited to: attendance tracking, PTO tracking, Self-Service features, mobile applications, etc.
- Proves compliance of plan documents through auditing and testing.
- Serve as subject matter expert to departmental staff and external customers.
- Evaluate and assess associated systems and technology for optimum utilization.
- Acts as project management leader for the payroll team related to integration of payroll activities and conversion from historical timekeeping/payroll systems to standard system used for entities. Ability to manage concurrent projects and be a liaison across functional departments.
- Reviews technology partners and system. Evaluates their efficacy and makes recommendations for enhancements or changes.
- Serve as project lead for all system upgrades and implementations.
- Works as a change agent to ensure best practices are adopted related to pay practices.
- Conduct regular internal audits to ensure data integrity and accuracy
- Interfaces closely with other Human Resource personnel to ensure accurate and timely transfer of information such as 401k transactions, benefit deductions and other employee related information.
- Recommends and implements process improvements necessary to ensure efficient, timely and accurate payroll processing.
- Serve as the super user of the assigned HRIS and time keeping systems
- Work closely with local and corporate internal Finance departments, vendors, and insurance carriers on internal and external audits, data configuration for general ledger and reporting, processes and controls, and system upgrades and implementations.
- Utilizes reporting tools available within HRIS system effectively. Prepares necessary reports for operating companies, and ensuring consistency across divisions in the reports.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable policies, rules, regulations and laws. Stays abreast of regulatory and policy changes affecting areas of responsibility.
- Prepares and provides training to end users
- Reconcile payroll register and benefit invoices.
- Provide direction of payroll, HRIS and benefit direction in the absence of the HR Manager
Key Skills and Competencies:
Ability to maintain confidentiality required. Ability to communicate and monitor compliance with government regulations and tax requirements. Strong verbal and written communications skills required. Prior experience with Ultipro, or similar, suite of software highly preferred. Strong math skills used for creating statistical reports required. Advanced MS Excel skills and strong skills in other MS Office applications. Exceptional attention to detail. Commitment to meeting the expectations of the internal customers is essential.
Position typically requires a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent. Must possess or acquire Certified Payroll Professional certification. A minimum of 5 years’ experience in payroll and HRIS and a minimum of 3 years supervisory experience required. Project management experience required. Experience with Ultimate Software preferred.
Normal heated/ventilated office environment. Occasionally subject to plant conditions (temperatures ranging from 28 to 50 degrees).
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualification required of employees assigned to this job.