Reporting to the Service Center Operations Manager, the PRODUCTION SUPERINTENDENT is directly responsible for all aspects of production in the assigned area within the Service Centre. This includes directly overseeing line assigned staff in the areas of training, employee development, performance and succession management, retention, and engagement. The Production Superintendent is responsible for leading employees in the achievement of manufacturing objectives pertaining to yield performance, product quality, production efficiency, and both food and workplace safety. As a member of the management team in the Camp Hill Service Centre, responsibilities also include contributing to an operational excellence business model focused on profitability and growth.
• Supervise and train hourly staff in the areas of production requirements, quality, food and workplace safety and operation of equipment.
• In collaboration with the Operations Manager, plan and direct production activities and establish production priorities and related schedules to satisfy on-going service levels in keeping with efficient operations including proficiency levels and appropriate mix of staff, product yields and overall direct labor costs.
• Direct and coordinate activities associated with the service center‘s on going production requirements utilizing knowledge of quality control standards, technology, grinds processes and the capability of people, equipment and machines
• Facilitate the achievement of Company objectives in terms of our Brand Promise, efficiency targets and customer service objectives.
• Accountable for achieving production targets and budgets, including daily reporting on yields, labor cost and productivity.
• Ensure HACCP requirements are met in areas of responsibility and enforce HACCP procedures with a strong commitment to food safety.
• Effectively address employee recognition, performance concerns and discipline.
• Set weekly shift schedule in conjunction with the operations management team, manage the production team and effectively communicate with all employees within the Service Center.
• Promote a positive and safe work environment for all employees within the Service Center, providing consistent and ongoing communication with employees.
• Accountable for ensuring compliance with Workplace Safety & Occupational Health legislation and reinforce safe working requirements and practices.
• Ensure compliance with Company policies, and all relevant legislative requirements. Provides the production teams with committed leadership on lean manufacturing principles and continuous process improvement techniques.
• Work with the Service Center management team to identify annual, semi-annual, quarterly and monthly objectives in support of the Center’s strategic plan.
• Set a positive example for all production staff, providing leadership towards meeting Company production, financial and strategic goals and objectives.
• Manage the employee relations direction and activities within the assigned team in a way that reflects our core value as it relates to our employees and contractors. Includes establishing effective training/development and performance management goals on a team and individual basis as well as effectively handling any disciplinary matters within the team. Working effectively with the members in the production group to achieve those objectives.
KEY SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
• Outstanding communication skills in order to lead, engage and motivate individuals and/or teams.
• A thorough understanding of lean manufacturing principles and leadership applications within a manufacturing environment.
• Strong proficiency with personal computer software with knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and multiple applications required.
• Detail oriented and strong analytical skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Highly organized
• College diploma or University degree; or an equivalent combination of related experience and education.
• 7 years of progressive leadership experience within a meat processing environment.
Standard heated/ventilated office environment. High traffic areas with many interruptions and distractions. Constant exposure to plant conditions, cold temperatures wet areas, plant machinery and processes.