Vantage Foods Inc.
Position Title: Quality Assurance Supervisor
Reports To: Quality Assurance Manager
Direct Reports: 3-5 Quality Assurance Technicians
General Responsibilities: The QA Supervisor is responsible for directing QA technicians and ensuring absolute adherence within the Service Centre on food safety and quality standards. Provides leadership, training, and direction of QA program requirements (SOP’s, HACCP, CFIA requirements) to all personnel. Reviews and recommends implementation and alterations to food safety and quality programs for continual improvement. Interacts with Service Centre (SC) Management Team on all food safety and quality issues.
- Ensure the highest level of food safety and quality practices are in place and followed throughout the plant, to ensure production operations meet CFIA and Vantage food safety requirements.
- Work with the QA Manager to maintain, update and ensure consistent execution of current Vantage food safety/QA programs, including SOP’s, HACCP and compliance with all CFIA and BRC requirements. Review Vantage food safety programs on a regular basis and recommend changes or new programs as needed.
- Assist with regular audits to assure compliance with regulatory (CFIA) and customer product specifications.
Provide leadership and direction to all QA staff on day-to-day testing requirements, pre-op set ups, and provide oversight of compliance to CFIA and company requirements.
- Instill a continuous improvement attitude throughout the department and an absolute commitment to excellence and customer satisfaction.
- Participate in the design and delivery of food safety, HACCP and related training to all company staff related to Food Safety and Quality systems, processes and requirements.
- Review and maintain Quality Assurance documentation, including corrective action plans and other actions needed to address any deficiencies within the food safety processes in the SC. Assist with third party audits (CFIA, BRC or customer audits) and prepare staff / management to participate in these audits as needed.
- Work with the QA Manager and provide liaison to CFIA inspector personnel in all matters. Work with the QA Manager and SC management to investigate any food safety incidents or customer complaints.
- Interact with customer representatives and demonstrate the highest level of professionalism and customer service in addressing food safety issues and/or concerns.
- Protect the Company’s success by ensuring customer protection, satisfaction, defect-free work, and operational efficiencies.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- University degree related to food science or related discipline (such as Animal/Food Science, Biology/Microbiology, Chemistry/Biochemistry), with 6 – 8 years of related experience in a food processing / manufacturing environment. A clear understanding of relevant CFIA regulations related to Vantage’s operations is essential.
- Experience in developing and delivering organization-wide food safety and HACCP policies, procedures, standards, workflows and best practices.
- Several years of related supervisory experience, including strong communication skills, setting and managing performance to objectives, conflict management and dealing with organization change.
- Advanced user of MS Office software, with strong analytical skills to perform mathematical calculations for all units of measure, prioritize information to make appropriate recommendations. Worked with relational databases, statistical programs, and other tools to compile and interpret quantitative data.
- Expert knowledge of SSOP’s, HACCP, and CFIA FSEP Program, including knowledge of microbiological testing.
- Authorized to work in Canada.
Working conditions include:
- Normal office or laboratory environment for most of each day.
- Working in a cold working environment on a daily basis, for parts of each day.
- Exposure to job situations where there is a possibility of injury – on a daily basis for parts of each day.
- Work involves minor physical strain/walking/standing for parts of the day on a daily basis.