Reporting to the Quality Assurance Supervisor, the Quality Assurance Technician is responsible for ensuring that Vantage’s food safety and quality assurance programs are properly implemented and maintained by following company, customer, and regulatory guidelines through auditing/inspection, product quality control, and data entry. The Quality Assurance Technician provides support to operations with the objective of meeting food safety and quality requirements, while maintaining production efficiency.
The following list of duties and responsibilities of the Quality Assurance Technician is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job described. Rather they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job. Under the supervision of QA Management, the QA Technician:
• Works directly with cleaning contractor. Performs pre-operational inspection on all operating equipment and assures sanitary condition for food production.
• Performs monitoring of food safety and quality critical control points as outlined in the HACCP / Food Safety and Quality Systems.
• Works directly with production staff on compliance with food safety and quality requirements. Assists with training of production staff on these requirements.
• Assists on trouble shoot processing lines and provides solutions to operations team that target manufacturing and food safety requirements.
• Monitors compliance with product specifications and assists Product Auditors on problem resolution.
• Evaluates raw material and product on QA hold, suggests disposition and informs appropriate Management Personnel as required.
• Assists in data entry for all monitoring and verification activities as required. Prepares reports as necessary to record findings and recommendations from testing
• Involved in the continuous improvement of food safety and quality systems by assisting on the development and update of SOPs.
• Additional duties as assigned
Key Skills and Competencies:
• Ability to speak, read, and write in English. Ability to read, understand, and follow documents and procedures.
• Strong organizational skills. Good verbal and written communication skills
• Professional and respectful attitude when dealing with both internal and external contacts, and will work toward facilitating a team atmosphere within the Service Center.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office is required
• Ability to work in team setting or independently with minimum supervision
• Strong analytical and logical conflict resolution skills. Ability to handle stressful situations.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment
• Understand and apply safe work practices and principles. Ask questions if unsure.
• Identify potential hazards and either work to remedy them (if possible) or bring them to supervisor’s attention for action.
• Bring a ‘safety first’ attitude to work.
• Bachelor’s Degree in a scientific discipline such as animal/food science, biology, microbiology, chemistry/biochemistry
• 1-2 years of Quality Assurance or related experience within the meat/food processing sector preferred.
• Understanding of HACCP systems.
• BRC knowledge a plus
The hours and days of work are established as needed by operations and at the discretion of management and may be adjusted (increased or decreased) by management as required. Must be able to work flexible schedule as necessary. Protective equipment is provided. Exposure includes:
• Very cold temperatures (32° – 36° F)
• High noise levels.
• Work in close proximity to industrial equipment, saws, conveyors, forklifts, and mechanized equipment.
• Wet and slippery floors
• Variety of odors
• Standing for extended periods of time
• Hours of work may exceed 12+ hours per day
• Exposure to products of beef and pork
• Frequent reaching, standing, lifting bending, or stooping
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory